Are you working out but somehow you have the feeling that you are not losing weight? Well, you may be right. Shedding the pounds does not only require a change in your regular work schedule or diet; it needs a change in your whole lifestyle.
The truth is, many people believe that only a perfect diet and enough exercise, i.e., using a treadmill, a maxi climber, etc. , will help lose weight. But how much exercise is enough? The amount of exercise you may need to lose weight depends on the size of calories you take on a daily basis.
You will only lose weight if you burn more calories than the amount you consume.
So here are 6 Reason why you may workout and still not lose weight
- Stress When you have less stress, you lose fat. Sometimes, your routine exercises may cause you to gain weight instead of losing that extra fat. Can it possibly be true? Yes, when you are stressed, your body sends several signals to the brain that trigger you to develop the urge to eat foods that have high sugar and fat content, e.g., fries, cakes, pizzas, etc.
A stress-free lifestyle contributes to weight loss and makes it easier for you to lose more fat as your tendency to overeat due to stress decreases. Thus, losing fat is not very difficult if you can control your stress levels. This is because most people under stress develop unhealthy eating and behavior patterns.
- Eating too much Losing weight depends on your level of calories intake. Workouts help burn these calories, but what if you eat more food than you can burn? You will obviously gain more weight instead of losing.
You may be perfect in keeping track of your diet, but unless you keep track of your calories intake, you may be eating more than you actually think. It is worth noting that exercise increases our appetite. Thus it’s essential to be keen on what you eat to help increase your rate of weight loss.
- You’re not sleeping enough When the body is tied, it takes in more sugar, carbohydrates, and caffeine so that it can get more energy. This, in turn, leads to more weight as the level of calories increase in the body. To avoid this, you should ensure you get the right amount of rest each night, i.e., 7-8 hours’ sleep.
There is a strong connection between weight gain and lack of sleep. Research has shown that people who sleep less than 8 hours a night have almost 50% risk of gaining weight while those who sleep less than 5 hours a night have 75% changes of becoming overweight. Hence, to lose more weight try to get to bed earlier whenever possible.
- Lack of consistency discipline is a key factor which you must practice for positive exercise results. Discipline will help you keep track of your exercise and also help you resist eating food that you shouldn’t. Thus, to lose weight, you must be consistent in your diet, i.e., amount of calories, and your routine exercise program.
Also, ensure you participate in exercises that involve your entire body e.g. swimming, jogging, and even walking. It’s advisable to increase the level of your routine exercising gradually while you reduce a number of calories you consume. For instance, you can increase your exercise duration from one hour to two hours a day.
- You’re not exercising enough How long do you exercise? Weight loss takes time. Therefore your success will be measured by the amount of time you will devote to your exercise. If you want to lose more weight, devote more time to exercise and also eat properly. Who has that extra one hour to exercise? Some people view exercise as a matter of straining the body just to shed off some few pounds.
They will see it as a waste of time. However, it’s a matter of priority, Very few people lose weight by adapting to a new diet alone. Regular exercise not only helps lose weight but it also helps increase your energy and your overall health. Thus, we should set priorities for our needs to lose weight by doing enough exercise.
- Low Magnesium level Our bodies need magnesium to regulate blood flow and also keeping our heartbeat steady. This helps us lose weight because magnesium is needed in the body for more than 250 chemical reactions that lead to weight loss. As such, you should eat natural magnesium-rich foods, e.g., nuts, beans, and green vegetables.
Another Reason may be that your metabolism rate is too low. Hence, it’s also important that you consult your doctor if you are excising regularly and taking proper diet while you are not losing any weight. Your doctor’s advice will help you come up with the most effective solution to your condition.