What elements do you should consider before choosing sunscreen?
Apart from being a source of natural energy for our daily life, the sunshine is very useful to keep bones strong, promote healthy skin, boost the body’s immune system and improves cardiovascular health if you go outdoors at the right time. Nonetheless, if you must go out in the harsh sunshine regularly, it is also the leading cause of skin damage and even skin cancer in many countries.
According to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, only 20% of the sunscreen sold in the market has a protective effect on skin and health. The rest are likely to cause cancer, cardiovascular disease, and endocrine disorders if used regularly.
Meanwhile, sunscreen which contains natural ingredients helps reduce the risk of skin irritation, sunburn, dark circles and skin cancer. This is why you should choose the sunscreen with natural ingredients. The following tips allow you to choose the safest sunblock.
1. Choose Physical Sunscreen:
Nowadays, there are two main sunscreens on the market today: physical sunscreen and chemical sunscreen. However, physical sunscreen is a perfect choice to protect your skin.
The reason is that physical sunscreen uses the main ingredients of zinc oxide (ZnO) and titanium dioxide (TiO2), creating a reflective shield and diffusing the UV rays from the surface of the skin. Both of these ingredients do not penetrate the skin, so it is highly safe to use.
Besides, physical sunscreen is insoluble in water, excellent adhesion to the skin so there is no need to reapply several times as chemical sunscreen. Today, physical sunscreen is popular for its superior safety and UVA and UVB protection.
On the contrary, chemical sunscreen does not contain zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Its main ingredients are avobenzone, oxybenzone, sulisobenzone and so forth. All of these ingredients help to protect the skin by absorbing UV rays and decomposes them before damaging the skin. Since they penetrate into the skin and the blood, they can cause adverse health effects.
2. Contain Moisturizing Ingredients:
In addition to choosing the sunscreen with two above main ingredients, you should also find products containing natural moisturizing ingredients such as water, the essence of avocado oil, olive oil, and almond oil and so on. You can learn the uses of some oils in the following.
- Avocado oil contains a large account of vitamin A, B, D, E, lecithin and essential fatty acids to nourish and regenerate the cells, so it works like a natural nutrient to prevent sunburn. Besides, it has a high proportion of saturated fat, which forms a protective layer on the skin to prevent the sunshine.
- Coconut oil only blocks about 20% UV rays; however, it is suitable for the sensitive skin. Moreover, it is very effective to nourish, provide moisture and nutrients to the skin and prevent sunburn.
- Olive oil can speed up the healing of sunburn on the grounds that it contains polyphenols, a powerful antioxidant that restricts aging cells, prevents free radicals from damaging the cells as well as restore them.
- Almond oil is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants that help protect the skin from harmful UV rays and makes the skin soft and supple.
- Argan oil contains ferulic acid and carotenoids which are helpful to protect your eyes and skin from UV rays and free radicals.
As it can be seen above, sunscreen with natural ingredients helps nourish and soften the skin. At the same time, it also reinforces the protective effect against the free radicals produced by the oxidation process. Thus, it limits hyperpigmentation causing suntanned skin and freckles.
3. Add anti-aging ingredients
Some high-grade sunscreens contain natural plant or herb extracts and vitamins A, C, E to protect and regenerate collagen and elastin fibers to help skin firmer and more elastic. At the same time, they prevent the appearance of wrinkles and premature skin aging symptoms. Let’s take a look at some anti-aging ingredients below.
- Matrixyl (Palmitoyl Pentapeptides) contains a peptide with 5 amino acids linked to a 16-carbon chain to improve the penetration of active ingredients into the skin, which enhances collagen synthesis to keep the skin young, elastic and dramatically reduce wrinkles.
- Sterol (Phytosterol) is one of lipid compounds which helps prevent skin-aging by improving skin metabolism and reducing inflammation. Also, it works in harmony with human skin because the chemical structure of plant and human sterols is very similar.
- Tocopherol (Vitamin E) is a powerful and excellent antioxidant. It protects essential fatty acids and vitamin A in the body. It is accumulated in the epidermis and forms a barrier against moisture evaporating away from the skin. Furthermore, it prevents cellular aging caused by the oxidation process, assists in bringing about cellular nutrition, reduce inflammation and strengthen capillary walls.
It cannot be denied that there are are many positive points of sunscreen with natural ingredients in protecting and nourishing healthy skin. However, most of the sunscreens cause some inconvenience during use. Specifically, it is the feeling of stickiness after applying a layer of sunscreen on the surface of the skin. For oily or combination skin, using sunscreen can make clog pores and increase the risk of dermatitis and acne. Therefore, in the vast range of sunscreen products on the market, tan physics products are said to be fully converged on the elements mentioned above and suitable for all types of skin. Anyway, you should read tan physics review at reputable websites to find out the pros and cons of this product and make the best choice for yourself.